The Importance of Working With A Divorce Attorney

Understanding The Different Types Of Custodial Restrictions

A parent's access to their child may be restricted in different ways. The common ones include ordering supervised visitations and shortening the time the parent has with the child for each visit. However, there are many other forms of custodial and visitation restrictions, such as these three:

Overnight Visitations

Some issues may prompt the judge to restrict overnight visitations of the child. Consider the following three types of parent:

  1. A parent who goes out drinking into the wee hours of the night, nearly every day.
  2. An addict who would rather spend money on drugs than food.
  3. A parent who is suspected of inappropriately touching their children.

In all these situations, it's dangerous to leave the child with the parent for extended periods since the child may suffer. For example, parent number two may leave the child sleep-deprived. Since overnight supervision isn't practical, it's best to restrict visitations to daytime hours.

Driving With the Child

A parent may also be prohibited from having their child as a passenger if doing so would endanger the child's health. Consider an alcoholic who has been charged with multiple traffic violations or convicted of driving while intoxicated (DWI). In such a case, the court may err on the side of caution and forbid the parent from driving with the child as a passenger. This would effectively complicate or rule out several activities that the parent and the child would otherwise enjoy together, such as road trips or picking up the child from school.

Visiting Specific Places Together 

Depending on the specifics of the case, the parent may also be banned from visiting specific places together with the child. Consider these three examples:

  • A parent who is suspected of planning or contemplating parental abduction may be banned from traveling out of state with the child.
  • A parent who works in a dangerous workplace, such a construction site, may be warned against taking the child to work.
  • A habitual drunk who exhibits symptoms of irresponsibility may be banned from letting the child accompany them to places where liqueur is served.

Therefore, talk to your lawyer if you suspect that any of the situations above apply to your former partner. Silence may put your child's welfare in jeopardy. Through your lawyer, such as Joanna Cobleigh Esq, you can petition the court for the custodial restrictions. However, ensure that your allegations have bases that you can prove in court; as usual, the court will investigate your claims before passing any judgment.